Faster Administration of Science and Technology Education and Research (FASTER) Community of Practice (CoP)
FASTER’s goal is to enhance collaboration and accelerate agencies’ adoption of advanced IT capabilities developed by Government-sponsored IT research. FASTER hosts Expedition and Emerging Technology workshops as well as monthly meetings with invited guest speakers to achieve this goal.
NITRD created FASTER for Federal agency CIOs and/or their advanced technology specialists. FASTER, seeks to accelerate deployment of promising research technologies; share protocol information, standards, and best practices; and coordinate and disseminate technology assessment and testbed results. The Federal CIO Council under the leadership of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) coordinates the use of IT systems. NITRD coordinates federally supported IT research under the leadership of OSTP (with OMB participation). FASTER, supported by the NITRD NCO, communicates with OMB and the Federal CIO Council concerning IT R&D matters that are of general interest to Federal agencies.
FASTER is responding to the Open Government Directive by using the technologies of the Social Data Web (e.g., Linked Open Data and the Semantic Web).
- Robert B. Bohn, Ph.D.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 2000
- Gaithersburg, MD 20899-2000
- (301) 975-4731
- Robert Chadduck
- National Science Foundation
- 4201 Wilson Blvd, Suite 1270
- Arlington, VA 22230
- (703) 292-2247
- Fax: (703) 292-9060
- April 23, 2013 - Building the U.S. Government’s First Secure Hybrid Community Cloud: Infrastructure on Demand
- Presentation and discussion with Mr. Anil Karmel. Mr. Karmel, Deputy Chief Technology Officer at the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), will be presenting on how the Department of Energy’s NNSA has employed the award winning innovations from Los Alamos National Laboratory’s Infrastructure on Demand (IoD) cloud service broker, in collaboration with industry and government to deliver YOURcloud, the U.S. Government’s first Secure Hybrid Community Cloud. For more info click here
- Presentation and discussion with Dr. Clayton Lewis. Dr. Lewis, Professor of Computer Science and Fellow of the Institute of Cognitive Science at the University of Colorado, will be presenting on the work being done in the USA and abroad to realize the Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure, using the cloud to make it much easier for people to access online content and services in a way that meets their individual needs and preferences. For more info click here
- Presentation and discussion with Dr. Walter L. Warnick, Director of the Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI). Dr. Warnick will be presenting and making a demonstration of PAGES (Public Access Gateway for Energy and Science), a web-based portal that will ensure that, after an embargo period, scholarly publications sponsored by the Department of Energy are publicly accessible and searchable at no charge to readers. For more info click here
- January 22, 2013 - Data on Data: Presenting Stakeholder Alignment Data on the Cyberinfrastructure for Earth System Science
- Presentation and discussion with Professor Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld. Professor Cutcher-Gershenfeld will be presenting information on the NSF EarthCube initiative including stakeholder survey data (approximately 850 responses). For more info click here
- The Road to Better Data Collaboration in Geosciences: Retooling IODP’s Data Framework and Services While Preserving the Art of Scientific Analysis
- January 2010 – Expedition Workshop
- Open Government which included presentations on [January 2010 – Expedition Workshop - Open Government which included presentations on "The X Prize Model for Innovation through Competition","An Example of a Global Open Innovation Model: Quantity and Units of Measurement Ontology Standard Initiative", and " "Open Innovation Enabled by Global Federation of Science and Technical Knowledge."
- October 2010 – Expedition Workshop
- Seeing Through the Clouds: Exploring Early Communities and Markets Streamlined by Open Government Principles
- November 2010 – Emerging Technology
- Architecture Information Exchange Tools: Increasing the Rate of Change (see http://www.nitrd.gov/et or clicking on pull down menu NITRD Events and then “Emerging Technology Workshop”)
- ↑ The X Prize Model for Innovation through Competition, Erika B. Wagner PhD, Executive Director, X PRIZE Lab at MIT
- ↑ Quantity and Units of Measurement Ontology Standard Initiative, Steven R. Ray, Ph.D., Distinguished Research Fellow, Carnegie Mellon University, NASA Research Park
- ↑ Open Innovation Enabled by Global Federation of Science and Technical Knowledge, Walter L. Warnick, Director, Dept. of Energy, Office of Science and Technical Information