Video and Image Analytics (VIA) R&D advances the ability to convey detailed information about people, their environment, and their interactions. The combination of two factors, the increasing volumes of video and image data now available, and new abilities to capture, communicate, triage, analyze, and manage it, has driven demands for innovative VIA technologies that can support real-time operations and decision making.
The VIA Team was formed in 2016 to coordinate Federal VIA R&D across 30 participating agencies and to foster a robust multisector ecosystem to support this rapidly developing research area. Guided by the increasing demand for real-time analysis and management of visual data, the Team gathers information from computer vision experts to ensure that government investment in VIA R&D results in innovative applications to address the Nation’s challenges, advantage its opportunities, and promote U.S. leadership and global competitiveness. Video analytics plays an essential role in vital Federal and local government functions such as public safety, infrastructure management and security, law enforcement, transportation, health care, and education. Video and Image Analytics Team reports to the Artificial Intelligence Interagency Working Group.
- Support fundamental research in data science, applications, infrastructure, visualization, and multisource information analysis.
- Improve knowledge sharing and public-private partnerships across government, academia, and the private sector.
- Create a common lexicon to effectively share and leverage R&D products, knowledge, and resources.
- Develop standards and best practices that support integration across government systems and social and economic needs.
- Build and sustain an expert workforce and research community to drive innovation and address the technical and operational challenges.
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
Department of Transportation (DOT)
|Richard W. Vorder Bruegge
Supervisory Photographic Technologist
Operational Technology Division (OTD)
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Digital Forensics Subject Matter Expert
Science & Technology Directorate (S&T)
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Federal Register Notice: 87 FR 42212, “Request for Information on Federal Video and Image Analytics Research and Development Action Plan”, July 14, 2022. Public Responses September 5, 2022.
- Developing a Framework on Media Processing
- Assembling an Image Spoofing and Fakes repository
- Research and Development Opportunities in Video and Image Analytics, Video and Image Analytics Team; David Kuehn; Richard Vorder Bruegge; Patricia Wolfhope, NITRD, March 2020.
Can’t Find What You Need?