NITRD -> NITRD Groups -> WSRD IWG
Wireless Spectrum Research and Development (WSRD)
Interagency Working Group (IWG)
The Wireless Spectrum R&D (WSRD) Interagency Working Group (IWG) was formed in late 2010 to coordinate spectrum-related research and development activities both across the Federal government and with academia and the private sector. The purpose is to help coordinate and inform ongoing activities across Federal agencies and to facilitate efficient and effective investment in spectrum sharing technologies and systems. These activities are consistent with the guiding principles of WSRD, which are transparency, smart investment, and the solicitation of opportunities for technology transfer across and beyond
the Federal government.
See the WSRD IWG Charter for more information.
Thyaga Nandagopal, Ph.D.
Program Director, CISE/CNS
National Science Foundation
2415 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Tel: (703) 292-8950
Rangam Subramanian, Ph.D.
Lead Technology and Spectrum Policy Strategist
Spectrum Planning Division, Office of Spectrum Management
National Telecommunications Information Administration (NTIA)
Department of Commerce
Tel: (202) 482-4399
Scope and Authority
WSRD was formed to inventory, coordinate, and make recommendations on Federal programs to advance the goals of the June 28, 2010 Presidential Memorandum: Unleashing the Wireless Broadband Revolution, Section 3. In addition, WSRD will work with academia and the private sector to help develop priorities, encourage private investment, and develop public/private partnerships when appropriate.
- Current functions and activities include
- Maintaining an inventory of recently completed and ongoing wireless spectrum research and development projects across the Federal agencies.
- Maintaining an inventory of wireless spectrum testing facilities across the United States.
- Holding workshops that include federal, academic, and private sector researchers to assist in developing recommendations for the Federal research portfolio.
- Developing recommendations for future research needs.
2016 Wireless Spectrum R&D Project Inventory
2016 Wireless Spectrum R&D Project Inventory
This inventory is one of the tools that the group created to help reduce redundancy of research investments, foster collaboration, and inform the work of fellow research organizations in public, private, and academic sectors. The inventory contains projects that have been completed, or are scheduled to be complete, between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2018, and are at Maturity level TRL-2 or above. This website includes information that Federal agencies have approved for public release and is not intended to be considered an exhaustive measure of activities in this area.
WSRD IWG Testbed Information Portal
WSRD IWG Testbed Information Portal.
Designed for the purposes of information exchange, it is our hope that this will prove useful for government, academic, and industry researchers in need of spectrum testing facilities.
We invite you to contribute information on testing facilities that are not currently listed, and that are available for use. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- WSRD Workshop IX: "Radio Receiver Systems: R&D Innovation Needs, and Impacts on Technology and Policy", National Science Foundation, Arlington, Virginia (May 5, 2017).
- WSRD Workshop VIII: Wireless Spectrum Sharing: Enforcement Frameworks, Technology and R&D, Google, 25 Massachusetts Ave. NW, #900, Washington, DC 20001 (May 5, 2016).
- WSRD Workshop VII: Federal - Commercial Spectrum Sharing: Models, Application, and Impacts of Incentives for Sharing, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ (March 19, 2015).
- WSRD Workshop VI: Federal-Commercial Spectrum Data: Understanding Information Exchange Needs, Issues, and Approaches, National Science Foundation, Arlington, VA (October 21, 2014).
- WSRD Workshop V: Understanding the Spectrum Environment: Using data and monitoring to improve spectrum utilization, National Science Foundation, Arlington, VA (March 31, 2014).
- WSRD Workshop IV: "Promoting Economic Efficiency in Spectrum Use: the economic and policy R&D Agenda", MIT, Cambridge, MA (April 23-24, 2013).
- WSRD Workshop III: "Research Topics and Proposals to Further the Adoption of Spectrum Sharing", Boulder, CO (July 24, 2012).
- WSRD Workshop II: "Federal Government and Private Sector Collaboration on Research Development, Experimentation, and Testing of Innovative Spectrum Sharing Technologies", Berkeley, CA (January 17-18, 2012).
- WSRD Workshop I: "Toward Innovative Spectrum Sharing Technologies: A Technical Workshop On Coordinating Federal Government/Private Sector R&D Investment", Boulder, CO (July 26, 2011).
- "Wireless Spectrum Sharing: Enforcement Frameworks, Technology, and R&D", WSRD Workshop VIII Report, January 2017.
- "Federal-Commercial Spectrum Sharing Workshop: Models, Applications, and Impacts of Incentives for Sharing", WSRD Workshop VII Report, November 2015.
- "Federal-Commercial Spectrum Data: Understanding Information Exchange Needs, Issues, and Approaches", WSRD Workshop VI Report, May 2015.
- "Understanding the Spectrum Environment: Data and Monitoring to Improve Spectrum Utilization", WSRD Workshop V Report, August 2014.
- "Promoting Economic Efficiency in Spectrum Use: the economic and policy research agenda", WSRD Workshop IV Report, April 2013.
- "Research Topics and Proposals to Further the Adoption of Spectrum Sharing", WSRD Workshop III Report, July 2012.
- "Federal Government and Private Sector Collaboration on Research Development, Experimentation, and Testing of Innovative Spectrum Sharing Technologies", WSRD Workshop II Report, January 2012.
- "Toward Innovative Spectrum Sharing Technologies: A Technical Workshop On Coordinating Federal Government/Private Sector R&D Investment", WSRD Workshop I Report, November 2011.