- Event: Artificial Intelligence and Cybersecurity Workshop; Organized by the National Science and Technology Council’s (NSTC) Networking and Information Technology Research and Development (NITRD) Subcommittee, in collaboration with the NSTC’s Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence (MLAI) Subcommittee.
- Agenda: AI-Cyber-2019-Agenda.pdf
- Attendees: AI-Cyber-Workshop-2019-Attendees.pdf
- Keynotes: AI-Cyber-2019-Keynotes.pdf
- Meeting Date: June 4-6, 2019
- Meeting Location: 7777 Baltimore Ave. College Park, MD 20740
The NSTC‘s NITRD Subcommittee, in collaboration with the NSTC’s MLAI Subcommittee, and through the sponsorship of the NSTC’s Special Cyber Operations Research & Engineering (SCORE) will hold a workshop to assess the key research challenges and opportunities at the intersection of cybersecurity and artificial intelligence (AI). The NSTC, led by the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, is the principal means within the Executive Branch to coordinate science and technology policy across the diverse Federal R&D enterprise. The workshop will discuss current and future research activities in this space, including potential research gaps to help the federal government plan future R&D in this area.
The workshop will identify capability gaps and prospective research directions relating to the use of AI and machine learning (ML), including:
- Using AI/ML to improve security
- Using AI to understanding threat models, improve the detection of threats, protection of systems, and adaptation of systems to increase their resiliency to future cyberattacks
- Developing defensive methods that effectively counter cyber-attacks that utilize AI capabilities
- Improve security of AI
- Define and understand AI vulnerabilities
- Improve resiliency of AI methods and algorithms to various forms of attacks
The workshop will include subject matter experts from industry, academia, and the Federal Government. The outcome of the workshop is expected to be a public report that summarizes research challenges and opportunities at the intersection of AI and cybersecurity. The NITRD and MLAI Subcommittees may then develop joint recommendations for federal research directions and priorities.
- Artificial Intelligence and Cybersecurity: A Detailed Technical Workshop Report, Artificial Intelligence R&D IWG; Cyber Security and Information Assurance IWG; Networking and Information Technology R&D Program, June 2, 2020.
- Artificial Intelligence and Cybersecurity: Opportunities and Challenges: Technical Workshop Summary Report, Networking and Information Technology Research Subcommittee; Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Subcommittee; National Science and Technology Council, March 2, 2020.
- AI-Cybersecurity Workshop Briefing to the NITRD and MLAI Subcommittees, Patrick McDaniel, July 2019.