National Strategic Computing Initiative (NSCI)
The National Strategic Computing Initiative (NSCI) was launched by Executive Order (EO) 13702 in July 2015 to advance U.S. leadership in high performance computing (HPC). The NSCI is a whole-of-nation effort designed to create a cohesive, multi-agency strategic vision and Federal investment strategy, executed in collaboration with industry and academia, to maximize the benefits of HPC for the United States.
- “Executive Order — Creating a National Strategic Computing Initiative”, The White House – Office of the Press Secretary, July 29, 2015
- “Advancing U.S. Leadership in High-Performance Computing”, Thomas Kalil, Jason Miller, July 29, 2015
- “FACT SHEET: National Strategic Computing Initiative”, Office of Science and Technology Policy, July 29, 2015
- Accelerating delivery of a capable exascale computing system that integrates hardware and software capability to deliver approximately 100 times the performance of current 10 petaflop systems across a range of applications representing government needs.
- Increasing coherence between the technology base used for modeling and simulation and that used for data analytic computing.
- Establishing, over the next 15 years, a viable path forward for future HPC systems even after the limits of current semiconductor technology are reached (the “post- Moore’s Law era”).
- Increasing the capacity and capability of an enduring national HPC ecosystem by employing a holistic approach that addresses relevant factors such as networking technology, workflow, downward scaling, foundational algorithms and software, accessibility, and workforce development.
- Developing an enduring public-private collaboration to ensure that the benefits of the research and development advances are, to the greatest extent, shared between the United States Government and industrial and academic sectors.
Publications and References
- National Strategic Computing Initiative Update: Pioneering the Future of Computing, Fast Track Action Committee on Strategic Computing; Networking and Information Technology Research and Development Subcommittee; Committee on Science and Technology Enterprise; National Science and Technology Council, November 14, 2019.
- Future Computing Community of Interest Meeting of August 5-6, 2019, Fast-Track Action Committee on Strategic Computing; Networking and Information Technology Research and Development Subcommittee; Committee on Science and Technology Enterprise; National Science and Technology Council, September 9, 2019.
- “U.S. Leadership in High Performance Computing (HPC)”. December 1, 2016. Meeting report from the NSA-DOE Technical Meeting on High Performance Computing, Baltimore, MD, September 28-29, 2016.
- “National Strategic Computing Initiative (NSCI) Strategic Plan”, Report prepared by The National Strategic Computing Initiative Executive Council, July 2016.
- “Advancing Quantum Information Science: National Challenges and Opportunities”, A joint report of The Committee On Science And Committee On Homeland And National Security Of The National Science And Technology Council. Produced by the Interagency Working Group on Quantum Information Science of the Subcommittee on Physical Sciences. July 2016.
- “Quantum Sensors at the Intersections of Fundamental Science, Quantum Information Science, and Computing”, U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science. Report of the Department of Energy (DOE) Roundtable held February 25, 2016.
- White House National Strategic Computing Initiative Workshop Proceedings, summary of workshop held on October 20-21, 2015, Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, McLean, VA.
- “Request for Information (RFI) on Science Drivers Requiring Capable Exascale High Performance Computing”, Notice Number: NOT-GM-15-122; Release Date: September 15, 2015; Issued by: National Institute of General Medical Sciences.
- Supercomputing (SC) 21 Birds of Feather – “Pioneering the Future Advanced Computing Ecosystem: Strategy and Execution”. November 17, 2021.
- Future Computing Community of Interest Meeting. August 5-6, 2019, Washington, DC.
- NIST: High-Performance Computing Security Workshop. March 27-28, 2018, Gaithersburg, MD.
- Supercomputing (SC) 17 Birds of Feather – “National Strategic Computing Initiative Update”. November 15th, 2017, Denver, Colorado.
- NIST’s NSCI seminar series, June 2016 – February 2017.
- National Science Foundation / Department of Energy. “Quantum Science Summer School”. June 5 – 16, 2017.
- Supercomputing (SC) 16 Panel, “National Strategic Computing Initiative Update”, (organized by HEC IWG), November 15, 2016, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- “The White House National Strategic Computing Initiative Workshop”. October 20 – 21, 2015.
- NIST: High-Performance Computing Security Workshop. September 29 – 30, 2016, Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Select Press Highlights
- Federal Register Notice: 84 FR 28338, Request for Information on Update to Strategic Computing Objectives, National Science Foundation, June 18, 2019.
- Department of Energy. “Department of Energy Awards Six Research Contracts Totaling $258 Million to Accelerate U.S. Supercomputing Technology”. June 15, 2017.
- White House Blog: “The National Strategic Computing Initiative Turns One”. July 29, 2016.
- If you have any questions, comments, or would like to propose collaborative activities for NSCI, please contact email@example.com
- To receive email notifications about NSCI website updates and public announcements, please subscribe to firstname.lastname@example.org