NITRD PROGRAM BUDGET REPORTING
The annual NITRD Program Supplement to the President’s Budget provides a technical summary of NITRD research investments and activities planned and coordinated through the NITRD Program in a given Federal budget cycle, as required by the High-Performance Computing Act of 1991 (P.L. 102-194) and reauthorized by Congress in the American Innovation and Competitiveness Act of 2017 (P.L. 114-329). The budget reporting and technical program summaries are organized by NITRD Program Component Areas (PCAs). The Supplement provides NITRD members’ budget reporting for the most recently completed budget cycle, the current budget cycle, and the budget requests for the next fiscal year. Budget information for the entire span of the NITRD Program, mirroring that reported in the annual Supplements, is captured in visual and interactive forms in the NITRD Dashboard.
* AI budget: not all AI investments are included in PCA tables, only those directly focused on AI. For a full report on AI R&D investments please see AI R&D Investments.
NITRD PROGRAM COMPONENT AREAS (PCAS)
The NITRD PCAs are major subject areas for Federal IT R&D. PCAs are intended to facilitate budgetary comparisons from year to year in each area. The PCA set evolves over time, reflecting changes in IT R&D activities at Federal agencies and IT R&D priorities of the Administration. NITRD’s FY2024 PCAs are:
- ACNS – Advanced Communication Networks and Systems
- AI – Artificial Intelligence
- CHuman – Computing-Enabled Human Interaction, Communication, and Augmentation
- CNPS – Computing-Enabled Networked Physical Systems
- CSP – Cyber Security and Privacy
- EdW – Education and Workforce
- ENIT – Electronics for Networking and Information Technology
- EHCS – Enabling-R&D for High-Capability Computing Systems
- HCIA – High-Capability Computing Infrastructure and Applications
- IRAS – Intelligent Robotics and Autonomous Systems
- LSDMA – Large-Scale Data Management and Analysis
- SPSQ – Software Productivity, Sustainability, and Quality
NITRD BUDGET DATA VISUALIZATIONS
- NITRD DASHBOARD: Budget information for the entire span of the NITRD Program, mirroring that reported in the annual Supplements, is captured in visual and interactive forms.
- AI R&D INVESTMENTS: In support of Executive Order 13859, “Maintaining American Leadership in Artificial Intelligence,” and The National Artificial Intelligence Research and Development Strategic Plan: 2019 Update, NITRD worked with Federal agencies to establish a process to accurately account for AI R&D investments, given that R&D in AI intersects with multiple PCAs.