Supplemental Budgets ($ in Millions): Fiscal Years 2021-2023
Budget supplemental figures for FY 2021 and FY 2022 have not been used to calculate changes between the FY 2021 and FY 2022 budget numbers.
NITRD Agency Budgets ($ in Millions) for AWN R&D: FYs 2021–2023
Figures in Table below break out those portions of NITRD member agencies’ R&D investments in the LSN PCA that are primarily dedicated to advanced wireless networks. Advanced Wireless Networks (AWN) R&D investments are typically coordinated through NITRD’s WSRD IWG. (The FY2021 Budget Supplement referred to AWN investments as advanced communications networks or ACN.) The FY2021 Supplement was the first time NITRD collected AWN (ACN) R&D numbers; they are not comparable to NITRD budget reporting earlier than in the FY2021 Supplement. Agencies’ budget requests for FY 2023 AWN R&D total $254.3 million, an increase of approximately 9.6 percent compared to the $232.1 million requested for AWN R&D for FY 2022.
Changes to the NITRD PCAs: 2017-2023
- FY2023: Renaming of Large Scale Networking (LSN) to Advanced Communication Networks and Systems (ACNS), and updates to the definitions of most PCAs.
- FY2022: Added the Electronics for Networking and Information Technology (ENIT) PCA
- FY2020: Added the Artificial Intelligence (AI) PCA, including guidance on what R&D areas fall under the AI PCA versus other PCAs.
- FY2020: Updated the CHuman PCA to remove overlap with the AI PCA and to focus on group/collaborative systems, tools, and studies rather than individuals.
- FY2020: Updated the SPSQ PCA to reflect the current state of software research.
- FY2019: All FY2018 PCA definitions were streamlined to a common format for FY2019
- FY2019: The FY2018 CSIA PCA was updated to explicitly include privacy R&D and renamed to CSP for FY2019
- FY2019: The FY2018 RIS PCA was renamed to IRAS for FY2019
- FY2019: The FY2018 SDP PCA was renamed to SPSQ for FY2019
- FY2018: The FY2017 HCSS PCA was renamed to CNPS in FY2018
- FY2018: The FY2017 SEW PCA was renamed to EdW in FY2018, and Social Computing aspects of SEW are reported in the CHuman PCA starting in FY2018
- FY2018: The FY2017 HCI&IM PCA was discontinued; starting in FY2018, HCI activities are reported under CHuman, and IM activities of are reported under LSDMA
- FY2018: The FY2017 HCIA was renamed to HCIA in FY2018
- FY2017: The FY2016 HEC R&D PCA has been updated and renamed to EHCS in FY2017
- FY2017: The FY2016 HEC I&A PCA has been updated and renamed to HCIA in FY2017
- FY2017: IM aspects of the FY2016 HCI&IM PCA were moved to the new LSDMA PCA in FY2017
- FY2017: Robotics aspects of the FY2016 HCI&IM and HCSS PCAs were moved to the new RIS PCA in FY2017
- FY2017: Added the Enabling-R&D for High-Capability Computing Systems (EHCS) PCA
- FY2017: Added the High-Capability Computing Systems Infrastructure and Applications (HCIA) PCA
- FY2017: Added the Large-Scale Data Management and Analysis (LSDMA) PCA
- FY2017: Added the Robotics and Intelligent Systems (RIS) PCA