- Event: BIG DATA Strategic Initiative Workshop 2015
- Date: January 23, 2015
- Location: Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- Attendee List
- Federal Register Notice: 80 FR 4319, “Networking and Information Technology Research and Development Big Data Strategic Initiative Workshop”, The National Coordination Office (NCO) for Networking and Information Technology Research and Development (NITRD), Janurary 2015.
2015 Big Data Strategic Initiative Workshop was sponsored by the NITRD Big Data Senior Steering Group in conjunction with Georgetown University, this workshop brought together academics and industry leaders across multiple disciplines to further inform the development of an effective Federal Big Data Research Agenda. For more information on the workshop please visit http://workshops.cs.georgetown.edu/BDSI-2015/
Given the large number of overlapping data challenges many federal agencies are facing, a National Big Data R&D Initiative was launched in March 2012. A steering group (the BDSSG) is drafting a framework and establishing a set of priorities for a Federal Big Data Research Agenda. One part of developing a strategic plan is to collect input from those in academia and industry that are working on big data research and new technologies. This workshop will bring together a small number of academics and industry leaders across disciplines to further inform the development of an effective Federal Big Data Research Agenda. The invitees will cooperatively:
- Analyze and focus on the research and development issues of problems that are fundamental in making progress toward understanding complex, big data;
- Specify current and future areas where major breakthroughs appear possible;
- Identify needed collaborations (e.g., inter-disciplinary, academic-industry);
- Identify research initiatives and facilities needed to meet current and future challenges;
- Consider privacy challenges and directions that should be considered;
- Discuss educational directions, needs and challenges for integrating big data into the curriculum of different disciplines.
Keynote Speaker – Andrew W. Moore
- Bio: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awm/
- Presentation: “The Data Science Technology Stack (Contrasting critical issues in the public, scientific and commerce sectors)”, slides, video.